Be INFORMED

Thursday, November 23, 2006

It Was My Duty To Refuse To Go To Iraq....

It was my duty to refuse to go to Iraq, says first American army officer facing court martial
By Alex Massie in Washington
Last Updated: 1:56am GMT 23/11/2006

The first American army officer to face court-martial for refusing to serve in Iraq said yesterday that it was his duty to recognize and refuse "illegal" orders.
Lt Watada faces six years in jail for his refusal to join his unit
in Iraq. His service would have been due to end next month

Lt Ehren Watada, 28, faces four charges of conduct unbecoming an officer for his refusal to join his unit in Iraq in the summer. Speaking ahead of a pre-trial hearing, the conscientious objector pledged that he would "fight with everything I have for my freedom and that of all Americans. I will face imprisonment to stand up for my beliefs."

If he had gone to Iraq, his service would have been due to end next month. Instead, if convicted, he could face six years in prison.

READ MORE

0 Comments: